It no longer makes sense for you to have a full-time web developer on your payroll in today’s interconnected world. Why would you do that when you can get the best web developers through dedicated online platforms? Even though many companies, big and small, understand the benefits of working with freelancers, they might not know how to outsource web development tasks.
This comprehensive article discusses various aspects of hiring professionals online, including the most popular outsourcing websites for freelance web developers. Keep reading to gain more information about the latest way to get the right talent for your business.
What Does Outsourcing Web Development Tasks Look Like Today?
Even though it seems like a new thing, 500 companies have outsourced web development services for years now. Small businesses can also access offshore web developers thanks to the sector’s opening up to online platforms. In 2019, 60 per cent of companies in the world outsourced web development services.
Most of these companies hired freelancers to develop their websites and mobile applications, thus saving on costs. According to Deloitte’s research that said 59 per cent of companies fall in this category. Besides, 57 per cent of companies outsource web development services to save on costs, while 47 per cent want to fill in gaps in their talent capacities.
Why Would You Outsource?
Why would you outsource web development services when hiring an in-house team? Outsourcing comes with several benefits, including the following:
- Lower Operational Risks: You can avoid paying regular salaries to an in-house team with outsourced labour. Besides, you only get to hire a web developer when you need them. As soon as the project ends, you can move on to something else.
- Focusing on Core Functions: You free yourself from non-core functions with an offshore web developer. You only focus on providing the core services of your business. That makes you more efficient in everything you do.
- Freeing Internal Resources: Outsourcing makes it possible for a company to free up its resources for other purposes. For example, you can create a more responsive customer support team using the resources that would have gone to building an in-house team.
- Mitigating Risks: A company can minimize risks through outsourcing, especially if you get an offshore web developer. Things in the domestic market will have no significant effect since labor comes from overseas.
Saving on Costs: Outsourcing also helps businesses save on costs, thus creating extra resources for investing in other business functions.
Outsourcing vs In-House Employees 200-300 pros and cons
The outsource vs in-house debate does not seem to have an end in sight. While some organizations prefer outsourcing, others work better using in-house teams. Outsourcing means hiring someone outside the company to perform a specialized task such as web development. It is opposed to using the in-house team of web development experts.
Pros and Cons of Outsourcing
Before deciding whether or not to outsource web development services, you should weigh its pros and cons. That’s because it is likely to affect your budget, especially if you have a startup company that operates on a shoe-string budget.
- because you get only to make a one-off payment instead of maintaining an in-house IT team full-time. You can also get cheaper labor if you outsource from Asia and Africa.
- Short-Term Commitment: With outsourcing, you only get an expert on board for a short time. You can use either the hourly, time and material or dedicated team model and pay for the work rendered without long-term commitments.
- Focusing on Your Core Business: Frees you from non-core functions like web development and lets you focus on your business’s core function.
- Lack of Control: Companies have no control of the project due to possible miscommunication between the company and the offshore web developer.
- Communication & Quality Issues: It is hard to communicate with an offshore web developer, especially if you’re in different time zones. The outsourced web developer may also fail to meet the expected quality.
Pros and Cons of Using an In-house Team
There are various reasons why some companies prefer in-house web development teams to their outsourced counterparts. Here are the pros and cons:
- Cultural Fit: A team of in-house web developers come from the local community and share the same culture and beliefs as the company. They, therefore, efficiently integrate with the company and add value to their work.
- Onsite Availability: An in-house team connects better with the management, works effectively, and can deliver work quickly. That makes it easier to make changes to the project.
- High Costs: It costs significantly more to hire web developers in-house since you have to pay salaries, training costs, employee benefits, and buy infrastructure.
- Talent Deficit: The in-house web developers may lack the passion to upgrade their skills, resulting in a talent deficit that offshore professionals can only fill.
- Low Retention Rates: Talented web developers are in high demand and could lure other companies. Therefore, they are unlikely to stay in your company for long.
What Are the Available Outsourcing Options?
There are several options for outsourcing websites on which you can get web development specialists. Registering on these websites is easy and only requires an email address. If you want to know how to outsource web tasks, the following are some of the websites on which you can enroll:
Upwork started as oDesk before merging with Elance to create the new company. It is one of the most popular outsourcing sites online, with verified web developers. You can instantly browse different freelancers after completing a job post describing what you’re looking for here. Once you create a job post, Upwork automatically identifies freelancers with similar qualities so that you can select the perfect match.
On Upwork, you can offer work either fixed-price or hourly-rate. Freelancers can also make applications on the jobs you post, allowing you to pick the best. Clients pay freelancers through the platform to prevent fraud. Here you can hire freelancers for projects likely to last for a considerably long time. Upwork has so many freelancers that a job posting will likely attract thousands of freelancer applications within the first few minutes.
- Includes many categories and sub-categories
- Trusted by publicly listed companies
- It has a billing system
- Buyers can post jobs
- The number of applicants can be too many
- Sourcing a freelancer can take time
If you’re looking for high-quality freelancers, Toptal is the go-to platform. It is a notch higher than Upwork Enterprise and offers the top 3 per cent of freelancers globally. Their freelancer profiles reveal highly-educated individuals who have previously worked for top-tier companies in complex, impactful roles. They take freelancer applicants through a rigorous screening process that demonstrates requisite technical competencies.
Therefore, you’re more likely to get high-quality web developers on Toptal than any rival outsourcing platform. That’s why hiring a web developer on this platform will cost you a premium. The platform has a dedicated support team that helps you identify freelancers and handle any issues that you might have. Within 24 hours of making a job posting, the support team will recommend the most suitable candidates.
- Provides world-class talent
- It does rigorous freelancer screening
- The support team is responsive
- It makes outsourcing fast
- Its freelancers have good communication skills
- Offers a limited range of services
- Costly for most businesses
- Not ideal for less complex tasks
You wouldn’t know how to outsource web development tasks until you try Clutch.com, a B2B research company in Washington, DC. You can get top web development professionals, agencies, and solutions for your business through it. It saves you the time and finances you would spend looking for the best web development agency.
Clutch.com has a team of dedicated employees that meticulously gather opinions and information concerning service providers by asking for reviews from the company’s clients. Therefore, it provides a more objective analysis of the reviews left behind by its clients.
The company utilizes a proprietary research methodology that considers a web agency’s clients, market presence, and experience. It, therefore, maps service providers according to their areas of specialty and proven ability to deliver. Consequently, it can recommend web developers based on the cost, schedule, quality, ability to meet deadlines, and the likelihood of referring a colleague to the company.
- Provides high-quality web development agencies
- Detailed information through reviews
- Ideal for small and large businesses
- Offers different research parameters
- It could take time to read reviews
Freelancer is one of the leading sites that link businesses to independent web developers worldwide. Since its founding in 2009, it has acquired ten other freelancing companies, consolidating its position as a market leader.
Join a long list of high-profile clients, including Boeing, Intel, GE, and Microsoft, sourced freelancers via the platform. When you post a job on the forum, freelancers will bid for it. From the various bids, you can pick one that meets your needs.
Freelancer.com charges a fee every time you post a job on the platform. For example, hourly jobs attract $3 or 3%, whichever is higher. Payments to freelancers depend on their level of experience on the platform. However, generally, it costs less to hire web developers on Freelancer.com than other platforms like Topal. Therefore, you get people to work on your projects more conveniently and cheaply. The platform makes it possible for clients and freelancers to complete transactions without going elsewhere.
- It has a wide variety of professionals
- Relatively cheaper than other platforms
- It has served high profile clients
- Lack of control of project quality and delivery
peopleperhour is another marketplace solution for effective web development.
Once you connect with a coder on the platform, you can negotiate and agree on the deadline when you expect to complete the project.
- Work can be done within a few hours
- Seamless communication
- Min bid amount for each project
- Easy to use platform
- Featured job options have higher pay rates
- Freelancer ask for higher price
LinkedIn is one of the best platforms to find web development service providers. The platform has millions of professionals in different fields, making it easier to find the right talent. Search for the service you want and select the best candidates from the popup list. Professionals on this platform have detailed platforms, which you can read to know if one fits the bill. Freelancers also provide a portfolio of their past projects, complete with samples, so that you can make an informed decision.
Apart from searching for web developers, you can post job openings on the site. When freelancers search for jobs using the relevant keywords, they will likely land on your offering. By clicking on the search result, freelancers can apply for the opportunity on LinkedIn or via your website, depending on the options you give to them. Even though LinkedIn is free of charge, you may pay a small fee for premium services. It is the best place to find professional web developers.
- It is free of charge
- A platform for millions of professionals
- It is relatively easy to use
- Financial transactions happen elsewhere
Upstack.com is one of the best platforms for startups and tech companies looking for high-quality web developers. It boasts of having the top one per cent of web development talent worldwide, making it more expensive than most other platforms.
Before listing a professional to the website, the company thoroughly vetted. Therefore, it has the best possible talent you can find anywhere. It considers skills and experience before bringing a freelancer on board.
The company’s focus is on working with a select few companies, and your business could be one of them. Its model is similar to Toptal, even though Upstack.com focuses more on developers than other professionals. After signing up on the platform, you immediately connect with an account manager and hire a web developer soon afterwards.
If you had to search for a web developer yourself, it would take forever. Upstack.com reduces that time by a great deal, connecting you to great freelancers in less than one week. Companies pay a $399 deposit to access the search function. The hourly rate for hiring freelancers on Upstack ranges from $50 to $150. Even though that’s expensive, it avails high-quality developers.
- Provides high-quality developer talent
- It has an AI system for hands-free hiring
- Finding freelancers takes a short time
- It has a 14-day risk-free trial
- It can be pretty expensive
- Not great for long-term projects
Some of other outsourcing websites/marketplaces:
- We Work Remotely
- Authentic jobs
- Creative Market
What to Look for Before Hiring Someone for Web Development?
Hiring a web development expert via an online platform is an elaborate process, whether in person or via an online platform. It involves looking for critical qualities to ensure that the web developer can deliver your project on time and the right quality. The following are some of the things you should look for before hiring someone for web development:
Previous Success with Projects
Even though capable of creating high-quality work, the web developer might not have worked on your type of project before. You want to ensure that the developer can deliver what you want. Whichever platform you use, check the client’s portfolio and previous work samples. You can assess several professionals before narrowing it down to the right one.
Readiness to Take Criticism and Make Corrections
A freelance web developer might not deliver a project the way you want it, which means voicing criticism of the work. An egotistic professional won’t take it lightly when you ask them to revise what they have already done. A good freelancer should, of necessity, have thick skin. They should take criticism and be ready to make necessary changes to the project. That way, they can incorporate your recommendations and deliver a project of which you’ll be proud.
A great Communicator
During the interview process, you’ll communicate with web designers via email or video calls. At that time, you can gauge a freelancer’s communication skills. You can also use communication apps that can help in communicating with various people around the globe. Essentially, the ideal candidate should share with clarity via email. They should be able to explain a complex project in layman’s language so that you can understand what they’re saying. If they can’t do that, you might lose track of the project and find it difficult to monitor its implementation.
Once you hire them, a mobile or web developer effectively becomes your partner. A partnership requires that both parties trust each other. It would help if you trust the web designer to bring the tools and skills to transform your idea into reality. Without trust, you’ll likely second guess everything your developer does, impeding progress. Eventually, your project won’t come to full fruition.
Steps to Follow After You’ve Decided Someone to Hire
Once you find a good web developer, you must initiate the hiring process. Outsourcing platforms usually prescribe how the hiring process should happen. However, the following are the general guidelines you can follow to get the work started:
Step 1: One-to-One Video Call
Before giving a one-to-one video call, you should agree with the developer when that can happen. Due to differences in time zones, it could be impossible to get them at a particular time of the day. Once you’ve agreed on the exact time, you can give them a video call. That will help you understand how well the web developer understands their work. You can also gauge how they articulate issues and communicate over the video call. Essentially, what transpires in that video call will likely be replicated as they keep working for you.
Step 2: Give Instructions
You can give instructions in two ways – either during the video call or via a document attached to an email. Even if you intend to issue written instructions, giving an overview of the project beforehand can help you set the pace for your web developer. Besides, a video call is good in assisting clarify issues that might not be very clear. Once you’ve agreed on what the developer needs to do, you can send written instructions if you already have a copy. It should contain all the details of the project with room for clarification at any time in the future.
Step 3: Set a Timeframe
How long do you want the project completed? When do you expect to receive the first milestone of the work? If you want to know how to outsource web development tasks, you should set realistic timelines within which the developer can submit the project. It makes sense to break the functions into deliverable chunks to monitor the work effectively. While at it, remember that the timelines for the project should be mutual. Avoid imposing on the developer impossible deadlines. You’ll likely end up with shoddy or unfinished work if you do.
Step 4: Ask to Update You Twice a Week
During the project, you can ask for updates at least twice a week. It doesn’t matter who initiates contact. Once you’ve agreed on what you should do, the developer should update you twice a week. If you have set any milestones, this is the time you can check if the developer is attaining them. The developer should give you a detailed briefing about the project and the details that have gone into it. You can also check if the project is going according to your expectations.
Step 5: Give Feedback if Necessary
As the project progresses, be sure to give the necessary feedback. Your sentiments could go in two ways. Either the project is going according to expectations, or it is not. Tell the developer the corrections you want them to make. It will help them implement the project according to your expectations and within the given timelines.
Tips on Managing Freelance Web Developers
It is much easier to manage an in-house web development team. Freelancers are a whole different lot. How do you motivate them to keep doing without bonuses and other perks? Here are some tips you can observe when managing freelance developers:
- Find Out What They Want: As your relationship with the web developer grows, find out what they want. They could either require money or a chance to work for a company like yours. Ask them to tell you what they expect from that assignment.
- Set Clear Expectations: Even as you find out what the freelancer wants, you need to state what you want in return. Perhaps you want a well-designed, responsive website. Besides issuing instructions via a video call, provide a written statement detailing what you want. If they need extra clarification, keep talking to them in the middle of the project.
- Build a Relationship: You don’t have to invest a lot of money in an outsourced web developer instead of those working for you in-house. However, you don’t have to make the relationship transactional necessarily. Ask them about their interests outside work, family life, and other projects they have.
- Do Not Micromanage: The web developer is into freelancing to gain autonomy. So, give them some freedom to be self-motivated and work without someone breathing over their shoulders. Give them flexibility so that they can also take of other commitments. Likely, you’re not the only client.
- Give Feedback: While doing a formal review might not be necessary, you shouldn’t avoid providing the essential feedback. Articulate what you think of the work to help the web designer improve. Whether during the weekly follow-up or at the end of the project, they need to know what you think.
Pay Them Well: Don’t take advantage of a freelance web developer just because they’re working for hire. You should treat them fairly by paying market rates for the entire project period.
There are many reasons why you should outsource web development services. Whether you want to save costs or fill in a talent gap, onboarding highly-qualified professionals is an excellent way. It is better to look for someone from a top-class web development company as in the market places there are mostly freelancers. In such an environment where companies already hire top professionals and strive to maintain their reputation. You’ll find it easy to work with outsourced web developers.